Nowgong Girls’ College was established in June 1962 to fulfil the need for a dedicated institution of higher education exclusively for women in the Nagaon district of Assam. “Charaiveti Charaiveti” is the motto of the college meaning march on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path. The college is affiliated to the Gauhati University and represents a unitary women college in the central Assam region.
The sprawling campus of Nowgong Girls’ College is on the bank of the Kolong River covering an area of 4.297 acre. It comprises of academic buildings, three hostels, a two storied library, an administrative block, a conference hall, auditorium, an open stage and a post office. Away from the din and bustle of the town the green surroundings and the fresh breeze from Kolong provide an ideal ambience for academic pursuance.
From its inception, the Arts stream of the college has fostered quality education in field of humanities and social sciences. Further, to promote scientific temper among the girl students, the college administration sanctioned the science stream in the college from the department of higher education in the year 2018. The college will be celebrating its Diamond jubilee in the year 2022 for accomplishing 60 years in promoting higher education among the young women.
The college offers undergraduate programs in Arts and Science and postgraduate programs by specific departments of Arts and Science. Numerous value added certificate courses are offered to help the students shine from the rest in the job market by adding additional values to their resume. The college is dedicated to foster high-quality education, as seen by great student achievement, a positive learning environment, and dedicated instructors, staff, and students. The institution aspires to preserve cultural diversity while also promoting ideals of equality and inclusion.
This vision document outlook the developments in the ten-year plan (2020-30) and aims at holistic development of the institute. It is an attempt to realize our future realistic goals of being a premier higher educational institute in the state and imprint a unique identity for improving human values and intellectual resources. Vision 2030 focuses on academic development, infrastructure improvement, administration and management and innovative practices.
Guided by our vision, we endeavour to shape the future of the young women of our state towards high quality education, outstanding research, innovation and scholarship.
With adequate academic and administrative autonomy, the institution will be able to successfully complete most of the projects proposed for the coming decade. The primary designs and concepts that have been proposed for the academic growth of the college are listed below.
• To introduce UG science stream.
• To initiate PG courses in all subjects by 2030.
• To start BVOC courses for employment generation.
• To increase number of MoUs, tie-ups, exchange programmes with reputed research institutions and Universities across the country.
• Use of ICT enabled teaching and learning techniques by teachers and students are to be promoted.
• To increase the participation of students in online courses through MOOCS, SWAYAM.
• To be at par with the global trend in education, Orientation programmes are to be organized for teachers, particularly for the new recruits.
• To start a study center for folklore studies.
• To start new research centers to promote interdisciplinary research in the college and to start doctoral research programmes in emerging areas of science and humanities.
• To increase the number of diploma, certificate, add-on and value added courses for improvement of employability of the learners. Teachers are to be encouraged to design online study materials like You Tube video and upload in college website.
• To obtain the status of an autonomous college as soon as possible.
The college administration has been constantly working towards developing state-of-the-art infrastructure to promote a conducive atmosphere for teaching and learning. Improving infrastructure is the prime focus in this regard while fostering innovation through the implementation of infrastructure schemes. The following suite of schemes has focused on enhancing basic facilities like clean water, drainage and sewerage, pollution control, building construction, furniture, books and technology services. These programmes have been formulated to ensure comprehensive support to the development and modernizing of new and existing infrastructural facilities. Projects pertaining to the strengthening of basic infrastructure for classrooms, offices, indoor stadium, laboratories have also been envisioned.
• The college has vision to build a central instrumentation facility (CIF) and a research block to facilitate high-quality research across many disciplines in one location.
• New buildings will be constructed to increase the number of classrooms.
• All the classrooms will be digitalized into smart classrooms with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
• To minimize human intervention, the IQAC and the college office will be digitalized and made fully automated by 2028.
• A recording studio with modern editing facilities will be integrated with the Multimedia language lab to promote online classes and webinars.
• The library will be fully automated and digitalized.
• A digital examination center will be integrated in the computer center with 100 computers and other necessary facilities to conduct online examinations.
• The entire campus will be made WIFI free for the students with enhanced internet speed.
• A new botanical garden with indigenous plants and orchids will be established inside the college campus.
• Measures will be taken to foster sanitation to ensure good health and hygiene.
• Tree plantation will be on a high priority to expand the green canopy of the campus.
• A vermicompost-shop managed by the department of zoology can be functional on campus.
• The college will enhance facilities for rainwater harvesting, waste recycling and waste management.
• Old undergraduate laboratories will be renovated and upgraded to meet the current needs and standards.
• Conventional bulbs and tube lights will be replaced by energy saving T5 tube lights and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) in all the buildings.
• To implement schemes relating to green energy, biogas and biomass, in addition to other enviro-promoting policies.
• A swimming pool be constructed to integrate swimming in sports activities.
• To increase the facilities of indoor stadium and build a gymnasium with all modern amenities in it.
Institutional development, the effective management of institutions, can be broadly defined as increasing their ability to formulate practicable development objective and to meet them while making full use of their human, financial and other resources. Besides academic and infrastructure development, the institute focuses on providing secondary services such as information services, value addition services, community services and so on.
• To generate revenue by providing consultancy services.
• To digitalize the administrative section through e-governance so that everything from application for admission to certificate will come under automation.
• Extension services to fulfill social commitment.
• To establish an Infirmary center with facilities, equipment’s and diagnostic services
• To identify problems and opportunities to further improve the campus facilities.
• To develop a campus blueprint that meets the emerging new requirements to facilitate teaching, learning, research and student experience
• Beautification of the Campus
• Scholarships will be provided to economically disadvantaged students with the support of our alumni community.
• Initiatives to be taken for better livelihood of the people living in nearby villages.
The greatest strength of Nowgong Girls’ College is its unwavering dedication to the issues it champions. The College is enthralled by the possibilities that lie ahead, and it is forging ahead, unafraid of the challenges. The limitless faith of the college in its dazzling future as an Autonomous Institute is reflected in the current ten-year perspective plan. Only effectiveness, or the happy satisfaction of all stakeholders, can lead to excellence. This necessitates a time-bound strategy by management, staff, and students, as well as dedication and commitment on their part. The first priority of the Institute is to create a welcoming atmosphere in which to achieve all of its objectives.